Getty.

11:25 PM Elizabeth 1 Comments

While in California, we spent Saturday evening at the Getty Center just outside of LA. I'd previously studied Richard Meier (the architect of the complex) in a class, and I love his clean residential designs along the Californian coast. The Getty Museum is similarly clean and crisp, and I love how the undulating curves and clean lines of the building echo the hills and city where the complex is situated.
We visited when it was starting to get dark, and I was so glad later on as the complex was stunning by night. stunning.

It was also ideal to visit the Getty Center as they have some wonderful examples of French Baroque, Rococo, and Neoclassic interiors and furniture. Seeing examples of these pieces and techniques in front of you is far superior than studying the scribbled sketches in your class notes.
(top to bottom, for the curious and inquiring: detail of a Baroque table with Boulle work [inlaid tortoise shell, pewter, and brass] and marquetry [inlaid wood]; a Rococo interior; detail of marquetry on a Neoclassic table)

I'm so amazed at the level of craftsmanship and detail in these pieces. While they aren't necessarily my chosen aesthetic, I love learning about them and putting them in a historical context that adds further layers of significance to such design developments and changes.

1 comment :

  1. You have been to LA!!! OHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!

    ReplyDelete