pen snobs

11:48 PM Elizabeth 6 Comments

The BYU bookstore made a few select students very happy when they decided to stock these pens and charge less for them than what they cost in Italy and online!

It seems silly, to care about what kind of pen you write with. But then I read this passage in a book for school:

"Ma consideri ognuno, quanto valore, quanto significato è racchiuso anche nelle più piccole nostre abitudini quotidiane, nei cento oggetti nostri che il più umile mendicante possiede: un fazzoletto, una vecchia lettera, la fotografia di una persona cara. Queste cose sono parte di noi, quasi come membra del nostro corpo; né è pensabile di venirne privati, nel nostro mondo, ché subito ne ritroveremmo altri a sostituire i vecchi, altri oggetti che sono nostri in quanto custodi e suscitatori di memorie nostre." —Primo Levi, Se questo è un uomo, p. 23

(translation: "But consider everyone, how much value, how much significance is contained even in the smallest of our daily habits, in the hundreds of objects that even the most humble beggar possesses: a handkerchief, an old letter, a photograph of a dear friend. These things are part of us, almost as members of our body; nor is it thinkable in private, in our world, that immediately we will find others to substitute the old, other objects that are ours in caring for and kindling our memories." this translation isn't awesome... but you get the idea.)

I was thinking about the objects that I carry with me all the time, what they mean to me, if they mean anything. Besides the sentimental, I thought about this film and design, how design is so integral to living. We spend our days using objects: writing with pens, sitting in chairs, eating with silverware. And so just as there is value in having objects in your life with meaning, there is value in surrounding yourself with good design. (These pens just happen to be both of those things and therefore, I am a fan.)

6 comments :

  1. i totally watched that movie on tuesday night! so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Liz! My journey of finding the perfect pen is not over. It makes so much difference what kind of pen you use when you write something so important to you and hope that it will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Bic pens that are so hard to find in stores! So I know what you mean. But I think your point about everyday things becoming very important to us an interesting thing. Like I only like to sleep in my own bed and shower in my own shower, and I hate to ever deviate from that! And those are just two of many things in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, I was catching up on your blog and loving it! I used to read Le Petit Nicolas in High School French, so I will have to watch that. Thanks for the spotlight on it. I, too, LOVE looking at the world in the newness of morning light. One of the many reasons I like morning runs. I love looking at paint colors (even shades of white). Also, I am picky about writing utensils. And stationary. And a multitude of other things. It reminds me how arranging a few flowers on the shelf or replacing an ugly soap dispenser with a pretty glass bottle makes me feel better about life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I miss New York. The city and the state. And New Jersey. And Utah. And Paris.

    And even London and Italy (even though I've never been)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben scritta Liz. L'ho letto sta mani e l'ho appena letto di nuovo. Molto bello :)

    ReplyDelete