glorious summertime

11:58 PM Elizabeth 1 Comments


"It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed. Summer gathered in the weather, the wind had the proper touch, the breathing of the world was long and warm and slow. You had only to rise, lean from your window, and know that this indeed was the first real time of freedom and living, this was the first morning of summer." –Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine, p. 1

Isn't that beautiful? If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It is the perfect summer book and I have M to thank for introducing me.

My 6am morning runs (sadly nonexistent this week as I am trying to overcome an overuse injury before Ragnar—please pray for me! I am a little worried but hoping for the best and doing my best to rest and be ready and pain-free) approach this feeling. The first two photos above are from a run last Saturday—what more can I say? This world is so beautiful and my early morning runs have allowed me to better appreciate and savor these moments of quiet and peace alone with my thoughts and the sky above and the mountains on the horizon. It's not the act of running that I love so much as the things that accompany it.

One thing that I love about summer is the potential and feeling of opportunity that it brings. I've been throwing around the word summer for weeks, but this weekend it's official. (Never mind the snow on the mountains.)

 . . . . 

PS - I love this list of best bookstores (though there are so many others that I love! and so by default such a list can never be complete). As I flipped through Dandelion Wine I found a bookmark from the Boulder Bookstore, where I first obtained my copy. I love trips and discovering bookstores along the way and memories that become intertwined with books.

1 comment :

  1. I love this Liz! You have given me just what I needed: a destination (fun bookstore) and a mission( Dandelion Wine). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete