Firenze

7:04 AM Elizabeth 3 Comments

Yesterday we took a day trip to Florence! We did everything good—we saw the whole city, we went to a museum, we saw priceless works of art, we ate panini (name that movie please, minus the panini). It was definitely different from Siena—a little more touristy (as it has every reason to be), but still beautiful, and much bigger.

One of the first things we did was climb to the top of the campanile of the Duomo. The views of Firenze from the top were worth the several hundred stairs to get there.

the view of the Arno River and Ponte Vecchio (which means "old bridge") from inside the Uffizi Gallery(!)

Brunelleschi's dome (Duomo di Firenze)
Palazzo Medici
We were walking down an unassuming street when all of a sudden I looked up and there it was, a building of which I've seen countless photographs right in front of my eyes! I tend to gravitate more towards modern architecture (predominantly 20th Century), but this is one of my favorite historic works of architecture. It also makes me wonder how many artistic and architectural treasures I walk right past without noticing.

In the piazza near Brunelleschi's Ospedale degli Innocenti, Ashley befriended some small children and played with their toys. This little boy, named Luca (notice his Original Marines shirt! so great) very seriously explained to her how it worked: "Allora..."

We ordered panini from a hole in the wall paninoteca, but you knew it was good as the line filled the whole street and sidewalk area immediately around the eatery. 
We also ate gelato, as directed by our professor! We emailed her to let her know we were leaving Siena, and she emailed back with the name of her favorite gelateria in Florence. Excellent.

our little group with the Ponte Vecchio behind us

First on my list for next time are Ghiberti's doors. We walked past them but couldn't get anywhere near enough to see the details, as there were far too many large groups of tourists we would have had to traverse.

I absolutely loved Florence and we didn't spend nearly enough time there. But it's close, so we will definitely be going back!

3 comments :

  1. a. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF! [i knew it immediately. yessss.]
    b. italian boy is totes adorbs.
    c. i love your dress!
    d. SUPER JEAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FLORENCE!! Liz! You are making me want to go back to Italy even though I only went to one city. I want to go! SO BADLY! I love your pictures!!! Ah, the doors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, i am so jealous of you!!! i wanna be in italy RIGHT NOW. i dont wanna wait another month!!! ps, you are so good at capturing all the little details, i'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete