London {long ago}

10:06 PM Elizabeth 0 Comments

So one time... (four years ago...) I went to London. I posted a few photos back in the day, but never really did that beautiful city justice, partially because at the time it was a difficult part of my trip home after a summer in Italy.

A few days ago M emailed asking about my favorite things that I did in London, so I was looking through London photos compiling a list of my favorites and suggestions to send to her. Having recently added this travel page on my blog, I thought I would dredge up what I wish I had also posted way back when about London. I am invoking John Steinbeck's travel philosophy to justify posting this years later. Another excuse if you're not convinced: I have a substantial layover in London with Tippe when we go to Morocco this fall, so London has been on my mind for that reason as well!


I was travelling in London sometimes alone, sometimes in tandem with one of my Italy roommates and her brother; we were staying at the same lodgings, but I did much of my London sight-seeing and venturing out solo. I took the tube for longer distances, and walked on foot to see different parts of the city for shorter distances. One thing I love when traveling is getting a feel for the lay of the land; in movies when they show a travel montage, they show all the highlights, but not necessarily consecutively or as they progress geographically. I was struck in London with a similar feeling that I had while exploring Rome--there are so many iconic sights and you come upon them sometimes unexpectedly and I love seeing the surroundings in context. London is also similar to Paris in that it is bisected by a river, so crossing the many bridges over the Thames also provides unique vantage points.

In many of my architectural and design history classes, we studied Christopher Wren, the architect of Saint Paul's Cathedral (of "Feed the Birds" fame), and Santiago Calatrava, the architect who designed Millennium Bridge (also known as the Harry Potter bridge). The Tate Modern gallery is just across the river from St. Paul's, and I love the way the views from the bridge frame both buildings.


In London, I spent a lot of time in museums, and was delighted to discover many have free admission, akin to our national counterparts in Washington, D.C. I posted photos from several museums in London here, but wanted to mention a couple others I loved.

Not pictured because they didn't allow pictures at the time of my visits: The National Portrait Gallery and The National Gallery. I loved the National Portrait Gallery (and they have an Audrey Hepburn exhibit this summer through October! I am devastated I won't be going in time to see it) and how the portraits were arranged chronologically. It was amazing to get a historical/biographical tour of the city via the amazing collection of portraits. The National Gallery has many amazing and famous works in their collection and is a beautiful museum (and this scene from Skyfall was filmed there).

Here are some more photos from other favorite items on view in the Victoria & Albert Museum:

Stella McCartney's costume for Chris Martin in the Viva la Vida music video

One of the rooms in the architecture wing (I was on cloud nine).

The V&A is probably best-known for their extensive collection of decorative arts, spanning centuries and countries in their collection as a whole. I really loved these gondola prows; aren't they stunning? I love how the form of modern gondolas has retained the essence of these antique prows.

And of course, some more photos from the British Museum: the Rosetta Stone (top knots forever) and the Elgin marbles.
As someone who loves textiles, pattern, and design, I obviously also made a stop at Liberty of London. What a gorgeous building housing a beautiful store, filled top to bottom with their lovely, iconic florals. Needless to say, their stationery section was to die for.
Arguably my favorite culinary experience in London was going to Borough Market. I love farmer's markets and food markets, having grown up among oodles of south Jersey farm stands and Philly's Reading Terminal Market and Borough Market was the quirky and quaint British equivalent.

L'olio d'oliva forever; Food Glorious Food (good one, nice one).
I am excited to have some time in London in a few months, albeit just a few hours for a layover. I saw bits and pieces of London on my initial trip years ago and left much undone, so each experience will add a few more layers and facets to my schema of London.

Readers—what are your favorite London spots or experiences? I would love to add more to my list for this return visit!

0 notes :