una poesia italiana.

6:41 PM Elizabeth 2 Comments

I read this poem the other day for my Italian literature class and it has become my favorite piece that we've read thus far. Bravissima.

Margherita Guidacci
La Conchiglia

Non a te appartengo, sebbene nel cavo
della tua mano ora riposi, viandante;
né alla sabbia da cui mi raccogliesti
e dove giacqui lungamente, prima
che al tuo sguardo si offrisse la mia forma mirabile.
Io compagna d'agili pesce e d'alghe
ebbi vita dal grembo delle libere onde.
E non odio né oblio ma l'amara tempesta me ne divise.
Perciò si duole in me l'antica patria e rimormora
assiduamente e ne sospira la mia anima marina,
mentre tu reggi il mio segreto sulla tua palma
e stupito vi pieghi il tuo orecchio straniero.

and my attempt at a translation:
The Shell

I do not belong to you, even though in the hollow
of your hand I now rest, wayfarer;
nor to the sand from which you collected me
and where I have long lain, before
to your gaze was offered my wondrous form.
A friend to agile fish and algae
I had life in the lap of the free waves.
And neither hate nor oblivion but the bitter tempest has divided me thus.
Therefore aches in me the ancient love for my homeland
and painstaking murmurings and sighs of my sea-soul,
while you hold my secret in your palm
and, surprised, turn me to your foreign ear.


Some of the assonance ("ma l'amara," "me ne," "odio...oblio," and "la mia anima marina") is lost in the English translation, but I think it retains much of the meaning and imagery. The sentiments that it evokes of nostalgia and identity are ones that I especially identify with, and I think the metaphor is so fitting.


p.s. fun fact about Margherita Guidacci (thank you, Wikipedia): her use of the word "paparazzo" in a translated work is linked to its English use today (i.e. obnoxious media photographer). Crazy!

2 comments :

  1. Lizzy...this poem is so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm obsessed with this. so pretty. and this is a really good translation! nice work.

    ReplyDelete