Rockhill
Yesterday we took an Heirloom field trip to northern Utah to spend the day at Rockhill Creamery, where we get much of the cheese that is used in the Heirloom restaurants. We toured the creamery, made cheese!!! and walked the pastures with the brown Swiss cows. We also ate quite a bit of cheese... mmm.
The dairy had these cheese designs on the wall which were so whimsical and great.
The cows loved me. (but really, they did. My guess is they knew I was a kindred spirit, being that my dad grew up on a dairy farm)
It was the most beautiful and wonderful day. I love cheese and it was so exciting to make cheese and see how it's done in an operation such as theirs. I'd read this book earlier this year and learned a lot, and a few weeks ago I made fresh mozzarella with a friend in my ward, so it was the perfect 'next step' in my cheese education. Cheese-making is very methodical and it is such a beautiful art. I love seeing people who love what they do and it brings me joy to take part in it. Being on a farm brought me such nostalgia for the other farms in my life and it made me happy knowing we were just down the street from where my grandma grew up in Cache Valley.
Now as for the Wasatch Mountain Gruyère in my fridge... I am very excited for the culinary possibilities.

I AM SO JEALOUS!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I love your life. Do you own that essentials cheese book? I might need to borrow it sometime. :) Yum! Handmade cheese!
so perfect for you. please make you and the cow your prof pic.
ReplyDeleteMackenzie! I don't own the cheese book but I checked it out from the Provo library!
ReplyDelete