c'è niente

11:11 PM Elizabeth 0 Comments

     "The child's legs had become as melting wax. Each time that old Mr. Emerson and Lucy set it erect it collapsed with a roar. Fortunately an Italian lady, who ought to have been saying her prayers, came to the rescue. By some mysterious virtue, which mothers alone possess, she stiffened the little boy's back-bone and imparted strength to his knees. He stood. Still gibbering with agitation, he walked away.
     " 'You are a clever woman,' said Mr. Emerson. 'You have done more than all the relics in the world. I am not of your creed, but I do believe in those who make their fellow-creatures happy. There is no scheme of the universe—'
     "He paused for a phrase.
     " 'Niente,' said the Italian lady, and returned to her prayers.
     " 'I'm not sure she understands English,' suggested Lucy."

—E.M. Forster, A Room With a View, p. 24

Yes, I already love this book.

0 notes :